Light, buttery, and crispy, these vegan and gluten free Walnut Lace Cookies are a variation of a traditional Florentine cookie!
The recipe has a few more steps than my incredibly easy and quick Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies, but it is totally worth it! These cookies melt in your mouth and have rich, sweet taste. When I was baking the cookies, I did find that a darker baking sheet worked better than a light silver baking sheet. I have a set of silicone covered cookies sheets that actually look like Teflon, so super dark, and these trays worked the best because of the non-stick coating!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour (blue bag)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, softened
- ½ cup Swerve brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- flax egg (2 tbsp flaxmeal + ¼ cup water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- optional: 1-2 drops doTERRA Frankincense essential oil
- Preheat the oven 375F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. i have found that a dark cookie sheet works better than a light one.
- Prepare the flax egg in a small bowl by combining the flax meal and the water.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Using a fork, cream in the butter. Next, add in the flax egg.
- Finally, add in the walnuts and optional essential oil, mixing together quickly.
- Using a tsp cookie scoop or two small tsp silverware spoons, place the cookie dough on the baking pan, 2 inches apart because the cookies spread.
- Bake 6 minutes and then remove from the oven. Cool at least 5 minutes before trying to remove to a cooling rack. The cookies should be crunchy ans easy to remove from the pan. If the cookies are not crunchy immediately out of the oven. Place the cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes before VERY carefully removing from the pan.
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!