Vegan Sourdough Pumpkin Bread is a fun, super digestible version of the classic Pumpkin Bread recipe! While chocolate chips are included in the recipe, they can be left out, increased, or changed completely to walnuts or pecans.
Additionally, sourdough flavor changes depending on the time it ferments, the flours used, and even the place where you live, so if there is a strong tangy-ness to your finished bread, try shortening the ferment time the next time you mix up the recipe!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 6hr Sponge:
- ½ cup sourdough starter (regular or gluten free)
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour (can use wheat or brown rice flour)
- Final Batter:
- ½ cup plant milk
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (1/2 12oz can)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips or pecans
- optional: 2 drops doTERRA Cardamom essential oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Sponge ingredients, cover, and let sit on the counter at room temperature 4-6 hours. The bowl can be placed in the refrigerator overnight.
- When the batter is ready for the final mix, preheat the oven to 350F and line a large bread loaf pan with parchment paper or grease the sides with coconut oil.
- Add the final batter ingredients, except for the chocolate or nuts, to the bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Last, add the chocolate chips, quickly stir again, pour into the loaf pan, smooth the top, and place in the oven to bake 60 minutes.
- When the bread is done baking, use a cake tester or toothpick, to test the center of the loaf for doneness. While chocolate may coat the testing device, batter should not.
- Remove the pan from the oven, place on a cooling rack for a hour.
- Remove from the loaf pan after an hour and carefully slice to serve!
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!