Creamy, smooth, garlicky, and cheesy– this broccoli cheese soup will reinvent your idea of a healthy cream-based soup! It is so delicious that people would never guess that it is vegan, oil free, grain free, and soy free!
As a little girl, I was introduced to broccoli cheese soup when my mom took me to Panera Bread for the first time. She ordered for me because I had no idea what I wanted and I trusted her opinion. However, when the soup was brought to our seats, I did not know what to think……I hated broccoli. But, my mom said to give it a try before I made up my mind that I did not like the soup. Now, here we are, years later, and I had to create a vegan and gluten free recipe for this soup because I love it so much! Thank you, Mom, for introducing me to the amazing-ness of broccoli cheese soup!
I absolutely love the simplicity of this broccoli cheese soup!
If you are new to vegan substitutions for dairy products, raw cashews are a great option because, when blended, they form a thick, rich cream sauce. I use so many cashews on a weekly basis that I order cashews in bulk 8lb bags like the one shown here. In addition, nutritional yeast is another substitution commonly used by vegan people to give a cheesy taste to foods. Nutritional yeast also provides many nutrients in a small package such as vitamin B12, fiber, protein, and folic acid. I love sprinkling it over my steamed veggies, rice or noodles, or on top of avocado!
I am so excited to be able to share this recipe because I know that somewhere there is another individual who thinks, just like I previously did, that they have to give up broccoli cheese soup because they are vegan. Friends, that is not the case at all; in fact, you can have this delicious soup ready to eat in thirty minutes!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large or 2 small carrot sticks, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small celery stalks, chopped
- 3-4 broccoli heads and stalks* chopped (roughly 5-6 cups of chopped broccoli pieces)
- 4 cups vegan broth
- 1 cup raw cashews**
- 1 cup filtered water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, saute' the diced onion and minced garlic on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrot and celery and continue sauteing.
- Next, add the chopped broccoli and continue sauteing until all the veggies are beginning to be softened and look steamed. It usually only takes 4-5 minutes after the broccoli is added.
- Pour in the vegan broth and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are cooked through and look like they will puree' easily.
- Remove the soup mixture from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- While the soup mixture is cooling, add the cashews, filtered water, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder to a blender and blend 30 seconds on high speed. Taste the cream mixture and, if desired, add more nutritional yeast or garlic powder.
- Now add in a few scoops of the soup mixture to the cashew cream and blend 20-30 seconds on high speed. Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and continue blending the soup until all of the veggies and broth are pureed. It typically takes me three blending sessions.
- Add all the pureed soup back into the saucepan and continue heating until ready to eat!
- Serve in a bread bowl or with bread on the side--- fresh bread with this soup is a fantastic combination!
**Even though cashews will blend easily without any pre-soaking, I always soak my cashews 4-8 hours (depending on when I remember during the day) prior to making the soup. Soaked nuts are much gentler on the digestive system, and our bodies can absorb more of the nutrients from the nuts when they are soaked.
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.