This vegan and grain free Southwestern Bean Soup is a slightly spicy, mixed bean and roasted vegetable soup that is delicious paired with cornbread, vegan cheese, garlic toast, and more!
In the recipe, I purposefully gave vague ingredients like the following: “mixed beans” and “mixed roasted veggies.” I did this so that you can fully customize the ingredients based off what you have in your pantry and refrigerator! Also, while the full recipe uses dried beans, I did provide the option to use canned or already cooked beans too.
Using canned beans is quicker, but if you prefer to soak your beans for easier digestion, dry beans are best!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 cups dry mixed beans (5-6 cups cooked)
- 10-12 cups water (if using already cooked beans, use 4-5 cups water and start in the directions after the beans are cooked)
- 4 cups roasted vegetables of choice (I use any leftover roasted veggies from other meals)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder or salsa seasoning
- salt to taste
- optional: 1-2 drops doTERRA Celery Seed or Pink Pepper essential oil
- Add the dried beans to a glass bowl, cover with warm water and let sit on the counter 3-4 hours.
- After soaking the beans, drain and rinse and add to a large pot.
- Cover with 6-8 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Keep the beans simmering for 4-5 hours, until the beans are soft. Add 1-2 cups water as needed to keep the beans covered with water.
- Next, add the roasted veggies and seasoning and continue cooking until ready to serve, 1-2 hours!
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in the refrigerator!
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!