Salted chocolate espresso cookies are like having salted dark chocolate with a shot of espresso in cookie form…literally one of the best flavor combinations ever.
Chocolate and coffee, can the thought of this dessert get any better? Yes, it can—these salted chocolate and espresso cookies are vegan, grain free, oil free, and naturally sweetened!
I love salted chocolate because the dash of salt seems to make the richness of the chocolate burst forth in flavor. Then, when espresso powder is added to the mix, it is like taking a bite of hot chocolate with a splash of coffee. If you are a coffee lover, these salted chocolate espresso cookies are for you!
In addition, because the salted chocolate espresso cookies’ main ingredients are cashew butter, Medjool dates, and almond meal, they are actually a fairly healthy dessert, snack, and energy boost! The cookies also come together quickly because it simply requires ten minutes of baking and the time it takes to process the ingredients together before the cookies are ready to eat. In less than twenty minutes you could have these chocolate espresso cookies pulled out of your oven!
Although, the salted chocolate espresso cookies will stay fresh for up to a week (if they last that long) in an air tight container, they are best fresh from the oven because the cookies have a fudge-y, melt-in-your-mouth consistency when they are warm.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 cup Medjool dates (12-14 dates), pitted
- ½ cup raw cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¾ cup almond meal (or the amount leftover after making a batch of almond milk from 1 cup of raw almonds)
- optional: kosher salt for topping the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. The cookies do not spread while baking, so all of the cookies should be able to fit on a large cookie sheet.
- In a food processor, process the dates until they are creamy and forming a caramel paste.
- Next, add in the cashew butter and process a few seconds to combine with the date caramel.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and process until fully combined.
- Using a Tbsp cookie ball scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and place on the prepared baking sheet. The cookies can be placed fairly close together because they do not spread out while baking.
- Sprinkle a little kosher salt (or any larger salt pieces) on top of the cookie balls and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cookies 8-9 minutes, until the cookie balls are slightly firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool 1-2 minutes on the baking pan.
- Place the cookies on a cooling rack or serve immediately!