Pumpkin and cinnamon is a classic Autumn dessert combination, and this vegan, gluten free, and oil free Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is a delicious version of this flavor!
The Pumpkin Cake is dense, crumbly, and reminiscent of a pumpkin-spiced gingerbread, and the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is fluffy, sweet yet tangy, and a delicious boost to the Pumpkin Cake. When you break into a slice of this cake, the texture and flavor combination of the cake and frosting will not disappoint, and you will be left wanting more of this yummy dessert!
When you make the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting, if you want the consistency runnier like a glaze icing, simply skip the refrigeration step before icing the cake. However, to achieve a whipped texture to the frosting, re-whisk the icing after it has been refrigerated!
Try this scrumptious cake paired with coffee or chai tea and enjoy all things pumpkin and cinnamon this holiday season!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- Cake ingredients:
- ½ cup teff flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 flax egg (3 Tbsp flax meal + ½ cup water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups coconut sugar
- 1-1.25 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup cashew butter
- Frosting ingredients:
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 2 Tbsp date syrup or brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup tapioca powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- First, prepare the flax eggs by whisking together the flax meal and water in a small bowl and setting to the side to thicken.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare a cake pan. I used a traditional circular cake pan lightly rubbed with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the teff flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot powder, spices, salt, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, cashew butter, and vanilla.
- Add the flax eggs to the pumpkin mixture and mix again, using a spatula if needed.
- Then, slowly add the flour mixture to the pumpkin batter, stirring as needed until the cake batter is thick and fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, smooth the top, and place in the oven to bake 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting.
- Add all the ingredients to a standing mixer with the whisk attachment (or use a handheld mixer with a whisk or egg beater attachment) and whisk the icing until it is fully combined and fluffy.
- Place the frosting in the refrigerator to thicken while the cake finishes baking.
- When the cake has finished baking, remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, you can remove the cake from the pan and place on a plate or cake dish.
- If the frosting has thickened too much in the refrigerator, whisk again before placing on the cake.
- When the frosting is ready cover the cake as desired!
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until serving time!
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.