Oven roasted, parsley and onion, crunchy chickpeas are the perfect snack, salad or soup topper, and side for your meals! in addition, crunchy chickpeas are an awesome meal prep food. Sometimes we all need a little crunch with our food, and these oil free, savory, crunchy chickpeas will satisfy your desire for a healthy yet crispy food.
If you have been around plant-based eaters any time at all or are a vegetarian or vegan yourself, you know that there are many different ways to get plant protein, and beans and rice are one of the easiest food combinations that provide the body with complete protein, meaning all the essential amino acids. It is mind-boggling how many different meals can be made from the beans and rice combination, and vegans are really good at coming up with endless delicious variations of beans and rice such as chickpea noodle soup, chili, Spanish rice and beans, etc.
All these foods are scrumptious, but sometimes, I need a texture variation. I need crunchy foods every so often.
These crunchy chickpeas are the answer!
One of my favorite ways to use these oven roasted, parsley and onion, crunchy chickpeas is on top of freshly cooked, activated millet with sauerkraut, my homemade basic cashew cheese, and my tahini and miso sauce. It is mouth-wateringly delicious. So much savory goodness in a bowl!
Get creative with how you use the these crunchy chickpeas! Take them with you for a snack, eat them instead of popcorn for a protein snack, top soups and salads, use them in buddha bowls, sprinkle them on avocado toast for an extra crunch, etc. Once you start making these crunchy chickpeas, they will be reoccurring food staple in your house because they are so yummy!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried onion pieces
- *optional: ½-1 tsp salt or pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F, and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cooked chickpeas with the spices until all the chickpeas are covered.
- Spread out the seasoned chickpeas evenly on the baking pan and sprinkle any spices left at the bottom of the bowl over the chickpeas.
- Bake the chickpeas for 15 minutes, remove from the oven stir and spread the chickpeas back out, and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir the chickpeas again. Continue baking at 3-5 minute intervals until the chickpeas look evenly browned and crunchy.
- Let the the chickpeas cool completely on the baking pan-- this helps them all become super crispy! Don't skip this step!
- Use immediately after cooling or store in an airtight container.
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.