If you have allergy or dietary restrictions but are craving cornbread, this Grain Free Corn(Free) Bread is the recipe you are looking for! Light, fluffy, crumbly, and soft, this Grain Free Corn(free) Bread is also vegan, oil free, and gluten free!
Cornbread is one of those foods that is just meant to go with chili, soups, and holiday meals during the cold months! However, if you are not able to eat corn, it is a sad day to have to opt out of eating a slice of soft, crumbly, delicious cornbread.
I have not been able to eat corn for some time now; therefore, I have been on a quest to replace all the recipes and foods that I used to enjoy with corn as the main ingredient! This Grain Free Corn(Free) Bread is the answer to all my cornbread cravings, and I am super excited to share it with you!
This recipe does make a corn(free) bread that is a bit creamier than a traditional recipe; however, if you like a dryer corn(free) bread, turn off the oven after the bread has baked 30 minutes and leave the bread in the oven as the oven cools. The crust crisps up and browns nicely, and baked this way, the corn(free) bread reminds me of my grandmother’s cornbread recipe! I have made the recipe both ways, and I think both are delicious!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp flax meal
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp coconut nectar, brown rice syrup, or maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk, chilled, cream scooped from the can
- ½ cup applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F and line a pan (I used a circular cake pan) with parchment paper or a very light layer of coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and the water and set to the side to thicken while preparing the other ingredients.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, salt, and baking powder.
- Then, in a large bowl, scoop the coconut cream out of the chilled can of coconut milk, it should be about 1 cup.
- Add the coconut nectar and flax mixture to the coconut cream and whisk.
- Next, using a spatula, quickly stir in the flour mixture until well combined but do not over mix.
- Stir in the applesauce at the very end and then scoop into the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top of the bread and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake the corn(free) bread for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and does not leave an imprint when touched.
- When the bread has finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Let the bread cool at least thirty minutes before slicing.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.