If you are craving a vegan cheesy spread that is perfect on crackers, veggies, sandwiches, and more, this is the cashew cheese recipe for you! The cheese flavor is ever so slight but absolutely delicious!
Basic cashew cheese is wonderfully versatile and can be used plain or as the base for additional cheeses, like this vegan boursin cheese recipe! Nutritional yeast, black pepper, sea salt, figs, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, etc are all great options to change up this cashew cheese’s flavor. One of my favorite flavors to add to this basic cashew cheese is sun-dried tomato and basil!
With so many flavoring options, this you will never be bored with this cheese!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water at least 6 hours
- 1 tsp probiotic powder
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- *optional add-ins after culturing: more nutritional yeast, salt, herbs, etc
- Drain and rinse the soaked raw cashews and place them in a small food processor.
- Add the probiotic powder and the ½ cup water and blend until smooth. This can take several minutes, so do not be afraid of processing the ingredients too much! If the mixture still feels gritty when rubbing a little between two fingers, the cheese needs to be blended more.
- After the cheese mixture has finished processing, transfer the cheese to a glass bowl, cover the top with cheesecloth, and let the cheese rest and culture for 24-36 hours, depending on how sharp and tangy you desire the final product.
- Once the cheese has finished culturing, stir well, mix in the nutritional yeast, and immediately store in the refrigerator or mix other ingredients into the cheese and then store in the refrigerator.
**The recipe time does not include the culturing time.
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.