Crispy, crunchy, and subtly sweet, homemade plantain chips are one of my all-time favorite munching foods! They are such a delicious, quick snack, and they are super easy to make– all you need is a thinly sliced plantain!
I love baked plantain chips! I used to buy the small packages as an occasional treat from the grocery, but once I discovered how much better the homemade plantain chips were, I have not gone back.
In addition, homemade plantain chips are 100% better than the store-bought versions because they are fresh from the oven (which always makes a crispy snack even more yummy), and naturally low in sugar, salt, and oil! Also, most of the time (at least in the southern United States), plantains can be purchased for only 50 cents per plantain, and one plantain makes more than a four ounce bag of prepackaged plantain chips!
Now, go slice up some plantains and give this recipe a try! <3
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 plantains
- *optional: salt, cinnamon sugar, or other spices for flavoring
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the peel from the plantains, and slice as thinly as possible (2-4mmm or about the width of your knife blade). If you have a steady hand, you can simply use a sharp knife to slice the plantain. However, a mandolin slicer can also be used to create thin and even slices. The main goal is to make sure all the slices are a uniform width, and the thinner the plantain slices, the crispier they become as they bake.
- Spread the plantain slices out on the parchment lined baking sheet, and place in the oven.
- Bake the plantain slices for ten minutes, remove the tray from the oven, flip all the slices over, and place the tray back in the oven another ten minutes, or until the plantain slices are crispy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let cool about five minutes.
- Serve immediately!
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.