If you are craving a rich and dense vegan brownie but are pushed for time or do not feel like baking a complicated recipe, these vegan brownies are for you! Six ingredients, about a minute in the food processor, ten minutes or less in the oven, and a pan of delicious, chocolatey brownies will magically appear in your kitchen.
I have tried a couple variations of minimal ingredient brownies using bananas as the sweetener, and after several rounds of either too strong a banana flavor or the wrong texture, I finally have a grain free, oil free, nut free, and vegan brownie recipe to share that uses very few ingredients!
These vegan brownies are dense like fudge, yet low in sugar– in fact, no sugar was added to the batter because all the sweetness comes from the bananas! In addition, the antioxidants from the cacao powder will give you a natural energy boost without any caffeine. Although, I am sure adding a teaspoon of espresso powder to the brownie batter would make an already amazing brownie simply divine! The coffee and chocolate combination is always a winner in my book.
Also, while I listed a food processor in the recipe below, I have also used my high-speed blender to mix a batch of these brownies up. If your blender is not a high-speed blender, I am not sure how well the batter will be blended because the coconut flour, bananas, and cacao powder become extremely thick; however, you are certainly welcome to give it a try! If someone has success with a regular blender, please let me know, and I will update the recipe to inform other readers of the additional mixing option.
Seriously, these brownies are the perfect solution for a late night snack craving when you want warm, and melting chocolate goodness after a long day of work.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 bananas, ripe and spotty
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- *optional toppings: vegan chocolate chips, large flake sea salt, cacao nibs, nut butter swirls
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and prepare a 8x4 bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top. It will be thick and dense.
- Sprinkle any desired topping onto the brownie batter and gently press them into the batter.
- Place the loaf pan into the oven and bake 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and let the brownies cool in the pan at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve warm!
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.