Vegan Lemon Bars are the perfect way to celebrate my two-year blog anniversary because the Vegan Lemon Bars are easy to make and one of Jake’s favorite desserts! Soft, perfectly tart and sweet, the Vegan Lemon Bars are also grain free and gluten free, which makes them a delicious choice for individuals looking for a healthier version of this dessert!
Many of you are likely familiar with the classic version of lemon square recipes that use a pie crust, tons of eggs in the filling, plenty of granulated white sugar, and are heavily dusted in powdered sugar because it is certainly a highly popular dessert among people who enjoy lemon desserts. This Vegan Lemon Bar recipe is an allergy friendly version that people who cannot tolerate eggs, butter, or vegetable oil can enjoy too!
The Vegan Lemon Bars are the most requested and anticipated recipe to date, and this is largely due to the fact that the lemon flavor is intensified with the addition of doTERRA lemon essential oil, which is the lemon essential oil that I use for everything from detox, to cleaning, to cooking, and more!
Using essential oils in cooking is a fun way to incorporate more essential oils into daily living, and the doTERRA lemon essential oil is one of the essential oils that I use most in the kitchen because it adds such a lovely citrus flavor to foods like hummus, muffins, smoothies, and desserts. Some of the benefits of lemon essential oil include the following: aiding the body’s detox pathways, supporting the immune system, and supporting digestion.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- Crust ingredients:
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups extra virgin coconut oil
- Filling ingredients:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour
- 1 can (15oz) full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 2 Tbsp cassava flour
- ½ cup pure lemon juice
- 20 drops doTERRA lemon essential oil
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F, and set out a 9"x13" glass casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the crust ingredients except the coconut oil.
- Then, using a fork, cut in the coconut oil until the dough has evenly formed.
- Press the crust evenly into the glass pan, firmly packing to ensure that there are not any loose crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350˚F, and then, increase the temperature to 375˚F and bake 5 more minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the blender as needed.
- When the crust has finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and immediately pour the filling on top of the crust, smooth the top, and return to the oven to bake an additional 20 minutes. The lemon filling should set and be firm when the bars have finished baking.
- Remove the lemon bars from the oven and leave in the pan to cool until room temperature.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill before slicing.
- Once the lemon bars are cold, if desired, dust the top with powdered sugar, slice and serve!
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.