Dense, moist, and rich, banana bread is an amazing culinary creation, and in my opinion, vegan banana bread makes it even better.
When I was little, my mom would make banana bread as a special treat, and I can still remember the incredible aroma that would fill the house while the bread was baking! Then, when my mom would put chocolate chips in the banana bread, wow….it is a taste and smell combination that I will love forever.
Some people like to put pecans or walnuts in their bread loaves, but I think I will always be a chocolate chip lover. Chocolate goes with everything, right?! Although I did not include any chocolate chips in this particular recipe, if you love chocolate like I do, feel free to add as many as you would like!
Do you have any super ripe bananas sitting on your kitchen counter that need to be used as soon as possible? I have the perfect vegan banana bread recipe for you to try.
I created this recipe because I wanted to re-experience, in a healthy and nutritious way, the banana bread from my childhood, and I believe I succeeded! My vegan banana bread is also naturally sweetened, grain free, gluten free, soy free, corn free, and oil free, which means that this bread can be a scrumptious dessert and a nutritious breakfast or snack!
This banana bread recipe is packed with the traditional banana bread flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, and of course, bananas, without any of the unhealthy additions of white, refined sugar, canola oil, multiple eggs, etc.
Trust me, if you love banana bread, you need this recipe in your kitchen.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 large, spotty bananas
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup yogurt, unsweetened (I used homemade cashew yogurt)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-2 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 large, spotty banana, mashed with a fork until slightly chunky
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and prepare a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the dates into a date caramel.
- Peel the bananas and process the bananas with the dates until blended.
- Next, add in the coconut flour, almond flour, yogurt, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom and blend until combined.
- Carefully remove the food processor blade, and using a wooden spoon or a spatula, mix the mashed banana chunks into the bread batter and then spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the banana bread 50-60 minutes until the loaf is firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out cleanly from the center of the loaf. The loaf will turn a dark color while it is baking, so do not rely solely on the browning of the loaf to determine that the banana bread is done baking.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and let the banana bread cool in the bread pan on a cooling rack at least one hour.
- Slice and serve! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.