Sweet Potato Bread is a delicious yeast free, grain free, gluten free, vegan, and keto alternative to regular wheat flour bread, and it is so good and easy to make that it might soon become a staple in your household!
While baking with specialty flour can be tricky, it is an entirely different experience baking grain free, and many times, the results are quite heavy due to flours like almond flour, tigernut flour, and coconut flour. However, this Sweet Potato Bread is light, fluffy, and even springy from the flax meal and psyllium husk binders! These Sweet Potato Bread slices are perfect for toasting, spreading, dipping, and more!
Often, sweet potato is avoided when people follow a keto method, however, the 3/4 cup of sweet potato is spread throughout the entire loaf, so it really is quite a small amount per serving. If you would prefer to not use this root vegetable, feel free to substitute lower sugar alternatives and let me know how it goes!
Because I make this loaf frequently, I like to change up the flavoring by adding in a drop of doTERRA essential oils like Basil, Rosemary, or Black Pepper. If you try other mix-ins let me know what your favorites are!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1.5 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup flax meal
- 3 Tbsp ground psyllium husk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup sweet potato puree
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- optional: 1 drop doTERRA Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, or Black Pepper essential oils.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and line a regular size loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the sweet potato puree, coconut oil, optional essential oils, and ½ cup water and slowly mix together.
- Add the remaining water and continue mixing until well combined. The dough should be quite thick and shape-able
- Form the dough into a loaf, place in the parchment lined pan, and smooth the top and sides of the loaf. Although the bread will rise some during baking, in general, the shape the dough goes into the oven is the shape it willl come out.
- Bake the loaf 50-55 minutes until the top is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the oven and, using the parchment paper to help lift the loaf out of the pan, gently place the sweet potato bread on a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing, about 3 hours!
- Slice into 12-14 slices, serve immediately and store remaining slices in the refrigerator.