It is the end of summer, and it is hot, which is why you need this raw, grain free, vegan, and oil free Spirulina Smoothie Bowl in your life!
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is high in many nutrients; in fact, it is so concentrated in good nutrients that spirulina is considered a “superfood!” Spirulina is especially great for vegans to consume because 1/2 teaspoon of spirulina has almost double the daily requirement of vitamin B12! Furthermore, spirulina is such a good food that my husband, Jake, and I take tablets of spirulina daily to get our vitamin B12. Additionally, spirulina has a high amount of Niacin, vitamin B3, Riboflavin, vitamin B2, Thiamin, vitamin B1, iron, and protein!
Other benefits of spirulina include the following: detoxes heavy metals from the body, especially arsenic, decreases blood pressure, reduces cholesterol, fights candida, increases energy, and lowers inflammation!
What is Sacha Inchi?
Sacha Inchi, also known as the Incan peanut, is a seed that is loaded with protein, Omega-3,6,9, tryptophan, iron, and fiber! Sacha Inchi is a particularly good source of protein because it is thirty percent protein by weight, and it is a complete protein, which means that it contains all the essential amino acids!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 3 super ripe, frozen bananas
- 1 small chopped zucchini, frozen
- 1 tsp spirulina powder
- ½ tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp brazil nut butter, or other nut butter
- 2-3 Tbsp almond milk, or other plant milk
- 1 Tbsp sacha inchi protein powder, or other protein powder
- ¼ tsp Triphala powder
- top with hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, fresh fruit, etc
- Place the frozen bananas and frozen zucchini in a high-speed blender or food processor and pulse until the bananas and zucchini are crumbly.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. I stop and stir my smoothie with a spatula as needed. The less liquid you add, the thicker the smoothie. I would rather stop and stir a couple times than end up with a really thin smoothie, but do whatever texture you prefer!
- Once the smoothie is blended, pour or scoop into a bowl, top with desired ingredients, and serve!
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.