This protein bread recipe is everything the savory bread lover dreams about because the chickpea, quinoa, parsley, and nutritional yeast flavors combine so well (I am pretty sure I visibly melted a bit when I took my first bite.), and the recipe for this protein bread is also vegan, gluten free, and oil free! The quinoa and chickpea flour combination is reminiscent of cornbread, and the nutritional yeast adds a subtle, cheesy flavor that pair beautifully with the parsley and hemp hearts! If you are searching for an allergy friendly, savory bread option that is chock-full of good nutrients, then this recipe is for you!
A protein bread recipe is a great way to spice up your sandwich bread for an extra nutrient boost, or if you like a cheese and herb bread to pair with soups or salads, then this recipe is a perfect addition to the meal. In addition, for all the savory breakfast lovers’ out there, this delicious bread is yummy in the morning too– give it a try toasted and spread with mashed avocado!
Also, because the bread is made with quinoa flour, chickpea flour, hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, unsweetened cashew yogurt, and flaxmeal, which all have a high protein content, each serving of this savory protein bread has over ten grams of protein, five grams of fiber, and less than 2 grams of sugar!
Although I did not test whether this recipe would work in a muffin pan too, I am positive that dividing the batter into muffin tins and baking a shorter time would result in delicious single-serving muffins! So, if a grab-and-go option is more your cup of tea than baking a loaf of bread, give the muffin variation a try!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- *optional: hemp hearts and nutritional yeast for topping the loaf
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and prepare a bread loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed, quinoa flour, chickpea flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutritional yeast, and dried parsley.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, cashew yogurt, water, and apple cider vinegar.
- using a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, smooth the top, and if desired, sprinkle the top with hemp hearts and more nutritional yeast.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place the loaf pan on a cooling rack.
- Let the bread cool in the pan at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan, and once the bread comes out of the pan, let the loaf continue cooling on the rack.
- Slice and serve!
- Store in a bread box or airtight container.