This oil free, gluten free, and vegan medicinal mushroom granola is the perfect snack for fall weather! The slightly sweet, cinnamon and vanilla tones combined with the earthy, dark taste of the mushrooms is like taking a bite of autumn. If you love faintly sweet with earthy undertone flavors, this medicinal mushroom granola is for you! It pairs wonderfully with fruit, yogurt, smoothie bowls, and baked goods, and it is absolutely delicious straight from the container (or the baking pan!).
In addition, this medicinal mushroom granola makes beautiful, large clusters that can be broken into small, sprinkle size pieces if desired. The trick to making large clusters of granola is the following: do not stir the granola while it is baking! The action of stirring breaks the clusters into tiny pieces before the clusters have a chance to form and harden.
If you have never used medicinal mushroom powders before, do not worry— they do not have a bizarre, overpowering taste! In fact, their dark taste reminds me of strong black coffee, and occasionally, I even mix a dose of the mushrooms into my cup of coffee for an extra boost during the day. So, why use chaga and reishi mushrooms in the first place? Medicinal mushrooms are jam-packed with health benefits, and some people even classify these mushrooms along with other “superfoods” like chia seeds, goji berries, and moringa green tea.
Chaga mushrooms are extremely high in antioxidants, and they are also a great immune strengthening food. Reishi mushrooms help lessen the effects of allergies and asthma, and they also help the liver function and detox the body. I love using mushroom powders in my daily routine and to make this granola!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp chaga mushroom powder
- ½ tsp reishi mushroom powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- Preheat the oven to 300˚F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients together and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, add the maple syrup, brown rice syrup, and vanilla extract. Heat on low to medium heat until the syrups and extract have fully melted and combined.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the granola out evenly on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Rotate the pan 180˚ and bake another 20 minutes or until a browned as you would like. If you want large granola clusters, do not stir the granola while it is baking! Wait until it has cooled off on the pan before you start breaking it apart.
- After the granola is done baking, remove the pan from the oven and cool the granola completely before serving or moving the granola to an airtight storage container.