If you keep a sourdough starter, also known as natural yeast, having more recipes to use extra starter in is a major plus, and these vegan, oil free, grain free sourdough brownies are a fantastic option!
They are dense, rich, chocolaty, and the perfect quick and easy sourdough dessert! All you have to do is mix together all the ingredients in the recipe, divide into the muffin tin, bake, and serve! I love the simplicity of one-bowl baking recipes!
Also, if you would rather a more traditional brownie slice, pour the batter into a square cake pan. The only thing that will change is the baking time, which will need to be longer. Start with twenty five minutes and proceed slowly from there.
In order to keep a sourdough starter strong and ready to make bread, the starter has to be fed often, which means at least once day, sometimes more. So, how does all this extra starter get used? Try making cookies, crackers, bread, or brownies! I even have a recipe for grain free sourdough chickpea crackers!
Sometimes, recipes suggest pouring extra sourdough starter down the sink, but I would much rather bake these yummy brownies!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 cup starter
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut nectar
- 1 cup almond butter (or sunflower butter for nut free)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and prepare a regular size muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sourdough starter and cacao powder until fully combined.
- Next, add in the coconut nectar, almond butter, vanilla. and salt and mix well.
- Last, mix in the chocolate chips!
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups and top with more mini chocolate chips.
- Bake 15 minutes or until the top doesn't leave an imprint.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Then, remove the brownies and serve immediately or continue cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.