Vegan, oil free, and gluten free Lemon cake is hard to come by in bakeries, stores, or recipes on the internet, and this post walks you through how to make your very own Gluten Free Lemon Cake!
Growing up, lemon cake was a dessert that occurred on my older brother’s birthday or if my uncle was visiting. If either of those two events took place, my siblings and I would be excited because we knew that we would get a slice of a delicious lemon cake! However, that particular recipe was not vegan, gluten free, or oil free, and it was loaded with sugar.
This Gluten Free Lemon Cake contains low sugar, moderate protein for a dessert, and all the tangy, sweet lemon flavor needed in a lemon cake!
In the frosting, I used roasted nuts to make a nut butter because I knew that would make a thick and creamy frosting, and cashews and macadamia nuts have a yummy, buttery flavor when they are roasted that blended perfectly into a frosting. Although I used xylitol and lucuma powders to keep the sugar content lower, feel free to sweeten with powdered sugar!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- Dry ingredients:
- 1.25 cups oat flour (gluten free if needed)
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut yogurt, unsweetened
- ½ cup coconut butter, softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp flax meal + ½ cup water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 20 drop lemon essential oil
- ¾ roasted macadamia nuts
- ¾ roasted cashews
- 3 tbsp xylitol (can use powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp lucuma powder (can use powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare a Bundt pan for the cake. I used a tiny bit of coconut oil to grease my pan.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax eggs and set to the side until needed.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, starches, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut yogurt, coconut butter, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Next, add in the flax eggs, lemon juice, and optional lemon essential oil and whisk again.
- Using a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spoon or carefully pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top of the batter.
- Place in the oven to bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- After the cake has finished baking, remove the cake from the oven to a cooling rack and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
- When the cake has cooled and you are ready to remove the cake from the pan, flip the cake directly onto the plate or serving dish that you will be using for the cake. The lemon cake will be difficult to move from plate to plate.
- Next, prepare the frosting.
- In a food processor, blend the roasted nuts until a smooth nut butter forms.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and blend again, adjusting the sweetness to personal preference.
- Spread the frosting on the cake, slice and serve!
- Store any leftovers in a cake plate, bread box, or airtight container.