Crispy, oil free, homemade sweet potato chips are one of the most delicious and satisfying snacks I have ever tasted. Then, when the sweet potato chips are paired with hummus, guacamole, or drizzled with tahini, they easily become the highlight of any meal!
Crunchy, naturally sweet, and thinly sliced, these sweet potato chips are the perfect replacement for store bought potato chips!
Sadly, after submitting blood work for the Pinner Test, I learned earlier this week that I have a fairly strong food intolerance to sweet potatoes. Note: I am not sponsored by Pinner Test or endorsing their products at all. I Just took the test to see if I could learn new information regarding some of my health issues. Although I am going to eliminate certain foods from my diet temporarily, I may add them back in later to test my reactions. Important: food intolerances are NOT the same as food allergies. While the test did not show an intolerance to wheat or wheat gluten, I definitely have a strong allergic reaction to foods containing those and will continue eating a gluten free diet.
Back to the sweet potato chips….When I read the test result, I am pretty sure that I panicked for a few moments because I was thinking “If I can no longer eat sweet potatoes, what else is there to eat?!” Sweet potatoes made up a large portion of my weekly diet; if there were sweet potatoes in the house, I would eat them every single day. Baked, boiled, crispy chips, dips, sauces, stews….of course, looking back on my diet, if I truly have a food intolerance to sweet potatoes, it makes sense why my digestive system was not agreeing with me. However, I am still struggling with the thought of giving up my delicious sweet potatoes.
Thankfully, I have had this post prepared a couple of weeks ago, so I can still share this recipe with you! Since I can no longer eat sweet potatoes, at least for right now, it is up to my readers to try this recipe! You can enjoy this yummy snack for me, and I will be happy knowing that others can still make these incredible, crispy sweet potato chips!
So, wash and slice a sweet potato or two and try out this scrumptious snack!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 5 inches long
- *optional seasoning: salt, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Using a large knife, remove both ends of the potatoes, and thinly slice the sweet potatoes into round, potato chip-like rounds.
- Evenly spread the chips on the parchment lined baking sheet, and leave the chips plain or top with any desired toppings.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes until the edges begin to brown and curl up. Then, remove the pan from the oven, flip each of the chips individually, and place back into the oven to continue baking until crispy and brown, about 20 minutes more.
- When the chips are finished baking, remove the tray from the oven and serve with hummus, guacamole, tahini, or plain!
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.