Nothing is more comforting on a cold, dreary day than a bowl of soup with freshly made bread, and this Creamy Vegan Lentil Pumpkin Soup is incredibly satisfying! In addition, it makes a delicious weeknight dinner option because it comes together in less than two hours!
Because of the creamy nature of the soup, it could be served hot or cold depending upon your preference. Furthermore, this Creamy Vegan Lentil Pumpkin Soup stores well, which means that this is a great meal-planning and meal-on-the-go recipe!
My favorite fresh, homemade bread to serve with this soup is my gluten free, vegan Artisan Bread recipe, but toast, crackers, or croutons would also be great!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 Tbsp broth powder (if using veggie broth, omit this ingredient)
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- optional: 1-2 doTERRA Celery Seed or Black Pepper essential oils
- In a 4-6 quart saucepan that has a lid, saute the onions with the dried oregano, salt, and garlic powder for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the lentils, water, and broth powder. and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the mixture to a low simmer, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes. The lentils will have soaked up the majority of the liquid and be soft.
- Add the pumpkin puree, chili powder, and salt, and bring the mixture back to a low simmer.
- Cover the pot with the lid, turn off the heat, and leave to soak up remaining liquid for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Stir in the coconut milk and transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to create a smooth, creamy soup.
- Once blended, pour the soup back into the saucepan and add the apple cider vinegar.
- Serve immediately, leave covered on the stove until dinner, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week!
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!