Cranberry Ginger Shortbread is a flavor combination that is meant to exist! The strong, classic ingredients of cranberry and ginger are smoothed out by the subtly sweet shortbread, and this dessert is also gluten free and vegan!
While you can use store-bought cranberry sauce, the best is always homemade because you can customize the different ingredients. If you prefer more cinnamon, add more, and if you prefer more citrus, add in orange peel! If you want a homemade, whole-berry cranberry sauce recipe, try this recipe on my blog!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- ¾ cup solid extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour mix
- 2 cups whole-berry cranberry sauce (recipe on my blog!)
- 2 Tbsp candied ginger, chopped
- optional: 1 drop each of doTERRA Ginger and Cassia essential oils in the cranberry sauce
- optional: vegan cool whip or whipped cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare a square baking dish. I used a square glass casserole dish. If you use a silicone square or a metal dish, the baking times may vary: less time for metal more time for silicone.
- In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar.
- Next, mix in the all-purpose flour. The mixture will be thick and crumbly but hold together when firmly packed.
- Place the dough mixture into the square baking dish and press together evenly to form a thick crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- While the crust is baking, make the cranberry sauce or heat already made cranberry sauce. I use the recipe on my blog that is linked in the post above.
- Add the crystallized ginger pieces to the cranberry sauce and heat to infuse the ginger into the cranberry sauce. If you want to use the Ginger and Cassia doTERRA essential oils, add them to the cranberry sauce now.
- Once the crust has finished baking, remove the crust from the oven and increase the oven heat to 400˚F.
- Spread the cranberry sauce evenly over the crust and return to the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving. The Cranberry Ginger Shortbread is best served cold from the refrigerator.
- Top with confectioner's sugar, vegan cool whip, or vegan whipped cream before serving!
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!