Shana Tova! What better way to celebrate and begin the Jewish New Year than with a batch of these vegan, gluten free, and oil free cranberry-apple “honey” doughnuts? These doughnuts are fluffy, soft, lightly sweet and full of flavor, and if you drizzle them with honey, or a substitute like coconut nectar, oy! They become even more delicious!
Traditionally, apples and honey are common food to celebrate Rosh Hashanah, and these doughnuts were inspired by those flavors! Also, it is a practice to eat a new fruit of the season (that you have not eaten yet this year) at the Rosh Hashanah dinner, and I used cranberries for this purpose. I look forward to cranberry season every year, and what better way to introduce the fruit that at a Rosh Hashanah celebration!
Even though honey is technically not vegan, some people who eat vegan do eat honey, and if you are one of those people, feel free to substitute the brown rice syrup with true honey.
While the applesauce and dried cranberries are a great flavor combination of their own, the addition of maca powder and brown rice syrup to the doughnut batter adds a slight honey and caramel taste without actually using honey. It is autumn in a doughnut– so much yummy cranberry-apple flavor in every bite!
These cranberry-apple doughnuts are simple and quick to mix together and bake, so the recipe can easily be made in the morning for a warm breakfast. In addition, if you want to make the recipe even simpler and quicker, use a muffin pan instead of the doughnut pan. Trust me, the cranberry-apple doughnuts taste just as good in muffin form, and it is definitely faster to divide the batter into a muffin pan than a doughnut pan!
Leshanah tovah tikateiv veteichateim! May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends! Shana Tova!
- 2 tsp Maca powder
- 1 cup oat flour, gluten free if needed
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and prepare the doughnuts pans. You can also use muffin pans.
- in a medium bowl, whisk all dry ingredients except for the flax meal together.
- Add the cranberries to the dry ingredient mixture and toss the cranberries to coat them with flour so that they spread throughout the doughnut batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients and the flax meal together and let the batter sit about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the dry ingredient mix to the wet ingredients and using a spatula, mix well.
- Using a spoon, carefully divide the batter into the doughnut pans.
- Place the pans in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes until a light golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove the pans from the oven, place the pans on a wire cooling rack, and let the doughnuts cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pans and serve immediately!