Chocolate Velvet cake with Vanilla Frosting is the perfect cake for any holiday event, and the people eating the cake will have no idea that the cake is gluten free and vegan! The Chocolate Velvet Cake has a rich, chocolate flavor that melts in your mouth, while the deliciously creamy Vanilla Frosting adds the perfect amount of vanilla to complement the chocolate!
This cake can be made as a tall round cake, or the batter can be split into two round pans for a split layer cake! If you choose to split the cake into two round cake pans, I would double the frosting recipe so that there will be plenty of frosting to spread between the two cake layers.
While some cakes are best the day that they are baked, I have found that this Chocolate Velvet Cake becomes more delicious with each passing day. In fact, I would recommend baking the cake the night before, letting the cake cool overnight, and frosting the next day!
Additionally, there is the option to add doTERRA essential oils to the frosting in order to change the flavor! Peppermint or Wild Orange essential oils are both great flavor options. However, I can only recommend doTERRA essential oils for internal use due to the purity of doTERRA essential oils. If you have any other brand, please do not use those essential oils internally.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #gwynnieclemons.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- Cake ingredients:
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 cups coconut sugar
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Frosting ingredients:
- 1.5 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup coconut cream (chill a full-fat coconut milk can in the fridge overnight and scoop the cream from the top)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 4-6 Tbsp Swerve powdered sugar (regular powdered sugar will work too)
- optional: doTERRA Peppermint essential oil or Wild Orange essential oil to flavor the frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare the cake pans by greasing. Either use one, 9-inch, pan for a thick cake as pictured, or use two, 8-inch, round pans for a split layer cake.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix well, making sure no clumps remain in the batter,
- Pour into the cake pan(s), smooth the top, and place in the oven to bake 1 hour for a single cake pan and 30 minutes for splitting the batter into two cake pans.
- Test the cake with a cake tester before removing from the oven to ensure that the center is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely. I prefer to cool the cake overnight and ice in the morning.
- When the cake has cooled, prepare the frosting.
- In a high speed blender, blend the cashews until a paste forms. If the cashews warmed during the blending, cool before moving to the next step.
- Next add the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth but not long enough to heat the frosting.
- If the frosting is not thick enough, add more powdered sugar.
- Frost the cake.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Store remaining cake in a covered cake stand, eating within 3-4 days.
Please, only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are the only essential oil company with Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) quality!