If you are unable to eat potatoes or are looking for a lower starch option but still craving French fries, these easy gluten free, grain free, vegan, and oil free Celery Root Fries are a great option!
Although celery root, which is also known as “celeriac,” is not a widely known root vegetable, it has several nutritional benefits worth noting! First, celery root is a fantastic prebiotic, which means the fiber in the celery root feeds the “good” bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. When a person has plenty of prebiotics in the diet, it ensures that the beneficial bacteria in the gut, and any additional probiotics that a person might be taking, have the food they need to flourish and help to improve the body’s health. Second, celery root has a substantial amount of protein per serving for a root vegetable! In one cup of celery root, there is 3.2 grams of protein!
Overall, consuming celery root on a regular basis will help support the gastrointestinal tract and increase the protein in a person’s diet!
If you are unsure how to cut celery root or if my directions do not make sense, I would recommend watching a video like this one because it is important to feel confident when cutting a large, firm fruit or vegetable.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- 1 large celery root
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- *optional: nutritional yeast, black pepper, cinnamon, chili powder, etc
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the celery root well before slicing!
- Using a large knife, cut the ends off the celery root, and then slice it in half.
- Next, cut the rough outer edge off the celery root. I found it easiest to use the large knife and gently shave off the edges.
- Once the celery root is ready to slice, cut into even, very thin slices. It does not matter the shape of the slice so long as the thickness is the same so that the celery root cooks evenly.
- Add all the slices to a large bowl with the spices and toss to coat.
- Spread the celery root slices on the baking pan and place in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes and then turn and stir the slices.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the desired crispiness.
- Serve immediately!
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
The serving size and nutritional information are general estimates based upon the ingredient amounts.