Basil Pesto Dip is a variation of a traditional pesto that is perfect for making cold summer salads, adding to wraps, or eating with crackers and fresh veggies! In addition, this Basil Pesto Dip is vegan, gluten free, grain free, and high fat/low carb!
While adding in one drop each of the doTERRA Basil and Lemon essential oils is optional, I would highly recommend doing so if you have those essential oils on hand because it makes the flavor pop even more! However, please remember, when adding essential oils to food, it is imperative that the essential oils be the highest quality for internal consumption. I only use doTERRA essential oils internally because they are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG), which means they are the purest, highest quality.
Additionally, when storing the Basil Pesto Dip, be aware that the Basil Pesto Dip will turn slightly brown from the avocado oxidizing. However, a quick stir will refresh the green color!
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love to see your comments and ratings on this recipe. In addition, you can tag photos of your dishes for me to see on Instagram using #shalomhomestead.
Best wishes and shalom, friends!
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- ½ cup lemon juice or juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 avocado, pitted and skinned
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, about 2 cups packed
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- *optional: 1 drop each doTERRA Basil and Lemon essential oils
- Add all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and essential oils to a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Next, add salt and pepper to taste and the optional essential oils and pulse once or twice more.
- Serve immediately with pasta, toast, crackers, veggies, etc!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. The pesto may brown slightly from oxidation but the flavor remains the same!